Sunday, November 23, 2008

Internet and my older myself

Internet is so present in everydaylife that we even don't wonder how we would do without it. Currently, I'm used to use Internet as a tool to (e-)communicate, mainly to send e-mails, to write this blog, of course, and to do researchs, for school or to go out with my friends. Indeed, it's sometimes more comfortable and quicker to look for things in the Internet rather than in books. Even if in one hand I can't help thinking it is a pity, on the other hand I would say that it is the in-thing, I guess...

Internet VS books :
(Trinity College old library, Dublin, Ireland)

Anyway, it is well-known that the Internet will never take the place of books. There is a time for everything, certainly, but different times can also « live together ». What I mean is that at the beginning of television, people wondered about its function, and thought it was redundant with cinema. But with time, people realized that both had different roles and gave different roles too to the audience ; indeed, television implies much more participation for the audience than cinema does. And, with time, television made progress and the diversity of its programmes definitely proved that it was pretty different from cinema.

The on-line library is not born yet :
What I mean by this digression is that books have a different role from the Internet. We don't use them in the same way as we use Internet and even if Internet is trying to be the place where all the knowledges are gathered, according to me we can't really say that yet. For the moment, it is quite rare to find whole books on the Internet ; you just find extracts and explanations about them...

Internet and my older myself :
Later, when I am an adult (well, according to the law, I AM a grown-up, but I don't really feel so since I'm still going to university...), I mean when I have a job, a real job, ie my first job, I think I will keep using Internet in the same way. But since I don't know what I want to do yet, I can't maintain it categorically either.
I may work at a distance, alone in my house, and be more dependant to the Internet than any other person, because I will have to send my work by e-mail, but I don't know. It's hard to say it right know, but I give you an appointment with me in about 2 years if you want !...

No comments: