Thursday, September 25, 2008

Wonderful Lexilogos...


What is your best English language learning tool on the Internet ?


The only real tool I use on the Internet and that helps me (but don't really teach me) is Lexilogos.

This is an on-line dictionnary, which is very usefull. I will not dare to say it is my best friend (oh God, I still have real friends, thanks... I'm not a geek yet!), but I'm happy and relieved if I can count on it to find a word I don't know in English and which is not in my paper dictionnary (which is not very complete).

The way to use it is very simple : you go on the page, you write the word you're asking for the translation, and you pick up one dictionnary amongst several like "Reverso", "Collins", "Cambridge", "Larousse", "Wordreference" etc. You can also look in special dictionnaries, like American ("American Heritage", "Century"...) or British ones ("Oxford", "Chambers"...). If you are not plenty satisfied with the one you chose, no problem, just pick up another ! Self-service... You can't be disappointed.

It also works if you are looking for a word you need to translate from English to French.

I don't know all the subtleties of this tool yet but one can find etymologies too.

Well, enjoy !








No comments: